1842 Seven frontier families built log
homes connected by paths cut through
the dense underbrush in a wooded area
in Blackford County, Indiana.
1843 George Atkinson, Elijah and Nancy
Spangler, William and Lydia
Toughinbaugh, Abigail Marlay, Jacob and Lydia Brugh, James and Eleanor Parker, Jacob Emshwiller, Sarah Dildine and George Folkenroth organized a
Presbyterian Church with Rev. Samuel
Steel preaching once a month.
1852 A set of communion furniture was
received as a missions gift from a
Presbyterian Church in Holliston,
Massachusetts. Vast areas of land further west were opening to settlers, and as many people joined the church, many also left to move west.
1868 Dr. Peter Draper and his bride
became pastor and the women of the
church held a festival in old Dick Hall that profited over $100, which started a fund to build a new permanent church, while a new frame church was erected.
1877 A revival in the small frame church added many members to the church.
1887 While John McKeehan was pastor,
church membership numbered 90, with
Sunday school membership of 150 and
average attendance of 120.
1892 The new brick church at the corner
of Franklin and High Streets, costing more than $10,000 was dedicated. That day, $5,529 was pledged to pay off the debt.
1906 Classes in telegraphy for men in the community were offered in the church basement.
1915 A Bob Jones Revival in a specially
built tabernacle in Hartford City added 71 members to the church on March 21.
1928 Rev. Lockwood oversaw a Sunday
school competition in which the
combined attendance in the Bertha Dale Class and Men’s Bible Class swelled to 500 people.
1939 The basement was remodeled, pews were refinished, floor was carpeted and new light fixtures were installed.
1943 On the 100th anniversary of the
founding of the church, membership
1952 The 110th Anniversary dinner with
200 in attendance was held. The Estelle
Hall Bible Class averaged 20 in weekly
meetings and 60 in monthly social events.
1960 The education wing, costing
$85,000, was dedicated. Arthur Needler
was elected by the Wabash River
Presbytery to serve as commissioner to
the 181st General Assembly in San
Antonio, Texas, in 1969.
1971 Pastor Morack began an after school
program for children in grades two
through six, involving recreation,
refreshments, and learning Christian
1984 A 50-member choir, including
guests and non-members, sang Handel’s
“Messiah” on Easter Sunday morning.
1993 The church celebrated its 150th
anniversary with several events. Dick
Goetz served as commissioner to General
Assembly in Orlando, Florida.
2005 Holy Rollers meet monthly to make
noodles and have fellowship. Proceeds
from the sale of the noodles support
Operation Christmas Child.
2010 Amanda Slentz established Silver
Lining, a social service coupon store, for
families with young children.
Mission Study Team
Wes Rediger, Convener
Pastoral Nominating Committee
© 2014 First Presbyterian Church of Hartford City| www.hartfordcityfirstpres.org | 765-348-1431 | 117 W Franklin, Hartford City, Indiana 47348